Hospital Explorer Virtual Excursion - 05 April 2016 Stream 4 - 10:30
Provider: Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
Date: 05 April 2016
Start Time: 10:30
End Time: 11:30
Duration: 1 hour
Closing Date: Bookings Close 29-Mar-2016
Availability: DEC and Non-DEC
DEC Positions: 1
Non-DEC Positions: 0
Price: Free + first-time purchase of a Hospital Explorer Box (see details below)
KLA Syllabus: Primary
KLA Stage/s: Stage 1
KLA Year/s: Year 1
Key Learning Area/s: Personal Development/Health and Physical Education,Science and Technology
KLA Topic/s: Fundamental Movement and Physical Activity,Healthy Choices,Investigating Scientically,The Made Environment
KLA Keyword/s: Health, Hospital, Science, Technology, Equipment, Workers, Physical activity, Human body, Doctor, Ambulance, Medicine, Disease, Safety, Play, Children, Patients
Event Overview: The Hospital Explorer Virtual Excursion is a new online version of the Hospital Explorer Program for Year 1 students, which has been running at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick (SCH) for over 15 years. The program aims to demystify the hospital environment and promote staying healthy, whilst exploring themes relevant to the school curriculum. Students will:
- learn about playing safely, preventing disease and making healthy choices
- use equipment to understand how the body works
- meet a real Doctor, Child Life Therapist and Physiotherapist who work at the hospital
- solve the mystery of what actually happens in hospital!
A Hospital Explorer resource box is sent out to schools prior to the excursion which contains the necessary equipment for students to participate in the program's activities. Schools can continue to use the Hospital Explorer Box to participate in future virtual excursions or to supplement their own teaching.
>> 1st Hospital Explorer Virtual Excursion (up to 30 students):
Virtual Excursion (free) + Hospital Explorer Box (compulsory first-time purchase*) $165 incl. GST and postage
TOTAL COST = $165.00
>> 2nd and additional Hospital Explorer Virtual Excursions (up to 30 students):
Virtual Excursion (gold coin donation per student) + Hospital Explorer Box (previously purchased by school*)
TOTAL COST = gold coin donation per student
*The Hospital Explorer Box is a necessary resource for students to participate in the virtual excursion. It contains hospital equipment and teaching aides that will be used during the program. The box can also be used in isolation of the excursion by teachers throughout the year to supplement their own lessons.
The excursion will include a storybook presentation that will be shared via video conference. Please check that you can view ‘shared content’ by setting your video conferencing unit to PC2. All schools are provided with a hard-copy version of the storybook in the Hospital Explorer Box in case there are any problems viewing the storybook presentation during the session.
Additional Booking Instructions: Please note that this excursion can accommodate only 1 class (up to 30 students) at a time. This is to maximise the presenters' engagement with students during the 1 hour session.
To make a booking:
1. Click 'Book Excursion' below
2. Complete the Excursion Booking form
3. Click 'Book Now'
4. Once your booking has been received by SCH, a Booking Confirmation and Payment Form will be sent to you via email. Payment must be received more than 1 week in advance of the excursion date.
5. A Hospital Explorer Box will be posted to your school at least 1 week before the excursion (unless you have already purchased one previously). The Hospital Explorer Box is a compulsory first-time purchase to be used during the virtual excursion and will not be posted until payment has been received in full.
Further Information: Please contact:
Nicola Groskops - Schools Project Officer
Ph: (02) 9382 0871