Meet an expert - Alex Borovskis - 18 May 2017 Stream 1 - 12:30
Date: 18 May 2017
Start Time: 12:30
End Time: 15:30
Duration: 3 hours
Closing Date: Bookings Close 16-May-2017
Availability: DEC and Non-DEC
DEC Positions: 5
Non-DEC Positions: 5
KLA Syllabus: Primary,Secondary,TAFE
KLA Stage/s: Stage 3,Stage 4,Stage 5,Stage 6,Students,Teachers
KLA Year/s: Year 5,Year 6,Year 7,Year 8,Year 9,Year 10,Year 11,Year 12,Students,Teachers
Key Learning Area/s: Science,Science and Technology
KLA Topic/s: Biology,Chemistry,Earth and Environmental Science,Investigating Scientically,Physics,Senior Science,The Natural Envirnonment
KLA Keyword/s: science; scientist; investigation; techniques; ANSTO; nuclear; radioisotope; waste;
Event Overview: Students and teachers will have the opportunity to talk with Alex Borovskis, an engineer in nuclear operations at the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO).
Alex and his team manages the radioactive wastes that are generated at ANSTO each and every day. These waste products have been generated during complex research and the production of important nuclear medicines.
Important information about the format of these sessions:
- Our expert speakers do not give a prepared presentation. They simply answer the questions your students ask. No student questions results in a very boring videoconference!
- Teachers are urged to ensure their students prepare interview-style questions after doing some preliminary research about the expert. We have compiled some suggested reading on our website (www.ansto.gov.au/elearning).
- Our experts are competent communicators and can talk with both primary and secondary school students at an appropriate level.
- Our expert speakers are booked for 3 hours to maximise opportunities for schools to find a time in their busy timetables to participate. After booking, we'll contact teachers by email to ask you to nominate a 30 minute time slot within this session to talk with the expert.
- As a post-videoconference activity, we suggest teachers use this opportunity to ask their students to synthesise and present information gathered from their "interview" with the expert. This might be in the form of an interview transcript, a poster, newspaper article, or another form that best suits your learning programs.
- NSW proficient-level teachers can claim 2 hours of BOSTES-registered professional development as part of this videoconference. More information here: www.ansto.gov.au/education
Additional Booking Instructions:
Further Information: While this videoconference is free, our expert speakers have kindly made themselves available for these sessions. Therefore, to discourage last-minute no shows, cancellations within one week of the videoconference will incur a $50 cancellation fee.