Meet an expert - Ivan Siladji - 10 May 2016 Stream 1 - 12:30
Date: 10 May 2016
Start Time: 12:30
End Time: 15:30
Duration: 3 hours
Closing Date: Bookings Close 09-May-2016
Availability: DEC and Non-DEC
DEC Positions: 5
Non-DEC Positions: 5
KLA Syllabus: Primary,Secondary,TAFE
KLA Stage/s: Stage 3,Stage 4,Stage 5,Stage 6,Students,Teachers
KLA Year/s: Year 5,Year 6,Year 7,Year 8,Year 9,Year 10,Year 11,Year 12,Students,Teachers
Key Learning Area/s: Professional Development,Science,Science and Technology
KLA Topic/s: Biology,Chemistry,Designing and Making,Investigating Scientically,Physics,The Natural Envirnonment
KLA Keyword/s: science; scientist; investigation; design; manufacture; nuclear medicine; radiation; cancer; diagnosis; treatment; nuclear scan; radiopharmaceutical; quality assurance; biology; physics; chemistry
Event Overview: Students and teachers will have the opportunity to talk with Ivan Siladji, Quality Assurance Manager at the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO).
Ivan ensures the production quality and authorises the just-in-time release of nuclear medicines to hospitals across Australia. ANSTO's radiopharmaceuticals are used to diagnose and treat disease in up to 10,000 Australians every week.
Important information about the format of these sessions:
- Our expert speakers do not give a prepared presentation. They simply answer the questions your students ask. No student questions results in a very boring videoconference!
- Teachers are urged to ensure their students prepare interview-style questions after doing some preliminary research about the expert. We have compiled some suggested reading on our website (http://bit.ly/anstoelearning).
- Our experts are competent communicators and can talk with both primary or secondary school students at an appropriate level.
- Our expert speakers are booked for 3 hours to maximise opportunities for schools to find a time in their busy timetables to participate. After booking, we'll contact teachers by email to ask you to nominate a 20-30 minute time slot within this session to talk with the expert.
- As a post-videoconference activity, we suggest teachers use this opportunity to ask their students to synthesise and present information gathered from their "interview" with the expert. This might be in the form of an interview transcript, a poster, newspaper article, or another form that best suits your learning programs.
- NSW proficient-level teachers can claim 2 hours of BOSTES-registered professional development as part of this videoconference. More information here: http://bit.ly/anstoteacherPD
Additional Booking Instructions:
Further Information: While this videoconference is free, our expert speakers have kindly made themselves available for these sessions. Therefore, to discourage last-minute no shows, cancellations within one week of the videoconference will incur a $50 cancellation fee.