Imagine not having a name... that’s exactly what's happened to one mystery plant that's held in our Herbarium. It was discovered decades ago, yet never named. Now is your chance to give it a name it can keep forever.
Dr Marco Duretto is a Senior Research Scientist here at the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney. He will explain what happens if a new species of plants is found in Australia and how it ends up with a name.
He will introduce you to the work in the laboratories of the Botanic Garden and the National Herbarium NSW.
This talk can be used as part of the unit around the Name a Plant Competition that the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney’s education team has prepared.
Join Marco and learn how Australia’s plants get their names!
|Excursion Type||Excursion Type Live Event|
|Provider||Provider Botanic Gardens & Centennial Parklands|
|Presenter||Presenter Royal Botanic Garden Sydney|
|Contact Details||Contact Details email@example.com +61 2 9231 8134|
|Date & Time||Date & Time 11.00am|
|Duration||Duration 45 minutes|
|Availability||Availability All Schools (Excludes Home Schools)|
Stage 1,Stage 2,Stage 3,Stage 4,Stage 5,Stage 6,Students,Teachers
Year 1,Year 2,Year 3,Year 4,Year 5,Year 6,Year 7,Year 8,Year 9,Year 10,Year 11,Year 12,Students
English,Human Society and its Environment,Science,Science and Technology
Biology,Earth and Environmental Science,Science Life Skills,The Natural Environment
botany, science, competition, flora
|Requirements for this excursion||
Requirements for this excursion
• Internet connection
• A microphone so the presenter can hear the class. Please note that some laptop microphones are difficult to hear, and the positioning of the laptop is important for capturing sound.
• A projector or smartboard that allows the students to see the presenter - your classroom smartboard is perfect for this.
• Adequate sound volume (usually from your smartboard or external speakers). Laptop speakers are inadequate for your whole classroom to hear the presenter
- A parent must be online with the students at all times. A parent is responsible for typing questions during the excursion.
- A teacher must be present in the classroom at all times. The teacher is responsible for typing questions during the excursion
|For more information about this excursion content||
For more information about this excursion content
Name: Karen Ariyan
Phone: +61 2 9231 8134
More information about the Name a Plant competition can be accessed here.